Taking on the voice of your main character (even if your story is narrated in 3rd person, use 1st person [“I”] for this practice), explore the following. You don’t have to do them all, just pick those that most interest you and seem to provide most potential for opening up your story.
* Make a diary entry by your protagonist for the time of the story.
* Make a diary entry for the time preceding the story’s events.
* Make a diary entry describing the events that happen after the story has ended. (this may reveal to you that the story isn’t really finished yet–?)
* Write a letter to someone in the story.
* Write a letter to someone not in the story about what is happening in the story.