Answer the following questions below while meeting the required written lengths if one is specified. Write a sentence or two for the definition sections. For short answer and essay questions – NOT all of them are required – in those cases pick which one you think you can answer best. Do not include headers and titles – just the answers from the questions below. Thank you.
III. For the short answer you will need to be able to define:
1. List the outcomes of the Treaty of Westphalia (1648)
2. Potential flaws of the Treaty of Westphalia (based on Holsti’s critique)
3. The 3 most important issues that generated wars in the post-1648 era (till 1713)
4. List the outcomes of the Utrecht Settlements of 1713
5. Problems with the Utrecht Settlements of 1713
6. The 3 most important issues that generated wars between 1713 and 1814
7. What was the ultimate stake of the French Revolutionary (1789) and Napoleonic Wars (1799-1815)?
8. What were the main objectives of the Congress of Vienna and the settlements of 1814-15?
9. List the key principles established at Vienna.
10. What were the achievements of the Congress of Vienna?
11. What were the problems/failures of the Congress of Vienna?
12. What was the “Concert of Europe” and who were its members?
13. The 3 most important new war-generating issues between 1815 and 1914.
14. What is “total war?”
15. What were some of the most important ideas in Wilson’s “Fourteen Points?”
IV. Short essay (not bullet points) (1/2 page to 1 page max). (choose only 1)
1. Stoessinger: the Iron Dice (WW I) –roles of individuals (to support your arguments make sure to discuss factual information from the chapter)
2. Stoessinger: Barbarossa (WW II) – roles of individuals (to support your arguments make sure to discuss factual information from the chapter)
V. Long essays:
Essay #1 – REQUIRED
Write an essay evaluating what you have learned from The Fog of War documentary. Make sure to explain which of the eleven lessons were most interesting and important to you! Which do you think will have the most impact on the 21st century? Why?